Sunday 24 February 2013

52 creative projects : 6/52 - cloud badges

Recently I have been buying handmade brooches from Etsy, including this awesome hedgehog one from Debbie Greenaway and this lovely fox one from Layla Amber.  I have been looking for a new brooch to buy but then thought why not have a go at making one myself.

I have some white air drying clay that I had left over from a Christmas DIY and thought I could do something with that.  I decided to make a series of cloud brooches with different emotions.  I have done something similar to this before but out of felt but unfortunately I don't have any photographs of them as I sold them all.

I rolled out the clay and drew a simple could shape onto card to use as a template.  I cut out 5 cloud shapes, a lightening bolt and a few raindrops out of the clay and then left them to dry for a few hours.

Once dry I used a porcelain painter pen to draw on the eyes and mouths giving each of the clouds a different emotion.  Rather than using paint I decided to use nail varnish for the cheeks and other details to add some colour.  Once the faces were dry I gave them a thin coat of mod podge and stuck brooch pins to the back using a hot melt gun.


No comments:

Post a Comment